Thursday, June 30, 2011

God Bless Texas Card

Fourth of July is nearing, but today I wanted to celebrate a place that's just like its own country -- TEXAS!

I moved to Texas after college graduation, a common story in Houston.  It's a running joke in our city that it's hard to find a native Houstonian -- and it's true!  But as soon as I got here, I knew Texas was different.  I remember walking around Walmart soon after I arrived and finding an entire Texas-themed bathroom set -- shower curtain, rugs, toothbrush holder, soap dispenser!  You'd never find that sort of thing in my native Louisiana.  (I mean, seriously...pelican decor?  It just wouldn't happen.)  Texans have a unique pride in their state that's strongly rooted in individual freedom and personal responsibility.  I love Texas!

Here's my patriotic *Texas* card -- simple but fun!

Card Details:
  • Card Base - DCWV Brights (A2)
  • Papers - textured cardstock by The Paper Studio; non-textured cardstock from scraps; glittery star paper from The Paper Studio - Birthday Extravaganza stack
  • Cricut Cuts - star from Simply Charmed, page 68; font for "TEXAS" from Birthday Bash (Font/Font Shadow)
  • Cuttlebug Embossing - red, white, and blue flag sections with Distressed Stripes
  • Other - doodling with white Gelly Roll pen; "God Bless" sentiment printed with computer

My design originally began as a Texas flag with the white lone star, but I had to move the star upward to accommodate the text.  Then I switched the white star for one with a little sparkle -- such a simple card needed a little pizzazz.  I used the Distressed Stripes embossing folder to make the flag look like it was made with old, wooden boards.  That rustic feel is totally Texas!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Amber's Crafts and Stuff:  Challenge #16 - Red, White, & Blue
Celebrate the Occasion:  Challenge #20 - 4th of July (Red, White, & Blue)
Fantabulous Cricut:  Challenge #66 - Happy 4th (Use Red, White, & Blue)
My Sheri Crafts:  Challenge #63 - Independence Day

14 comments:

  1. I love it! Texas sounds like Calgary - everyone here is an import, and Calgarians take great pride in their city. Not to the extreme of bathroom decor, but pretty close. :) Such a cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! Thanks for playing with CTO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot woot! Texas ROCKS!!! Thanks for playing along with us this week at FCCB and CTO! :o)

    Lisa
    http://prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card. This non-native Texan but likes Texas wants some details such as card base size, red/white/blue panel sizes & star sizes. Guess you figure I want to make one also. I have the Distressed Stripes embossing folder which I used on the "You're a Treasure to me" card's treasure chest.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://createdbydsunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful, love the choice of embossing and thanks so much for joining CTO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow- I love this. it is simple but the embossing really adds a bunch. thanks for sharing with us at FCCB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your awesome card creation...TEXAS flag. LOL-I live in Houston also but I'm not a Houstonian. I am now a follower. Fantastic card. ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job on this card. Thanks for Celebrating the Occasion with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! You did an amazing job on this card and you are so right about the fantastic attitude so many Texans share! I do not live anywhere near Texas, but I know when I meet someone who is from there! Back in my old life before becoming a SAHM, I helped open a few stores in Texas (and was offered a few transfers which I turned down), but the people I worked with from there were out of this world! There is that deep rooted sense of pride that pours out from them in everything they do! My favorite line I heard over and over was "I'm from Texas ma'am, of course I can do that"!!! You can't say that with any other state! It just doesn't work the same way! Thanks for letting me take a trip down memory lane and thanks for sharing this creative card! The embossing is awesome! Oh and thanks for playing along with us at CTO!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really nice Jessica! I went on a road trip last year to Oklahoma, and we passed through Texas. It was an amazing state! Very nice and friendly people... :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right on Jessica. I live in Texas and this card is so special.

    Hugs
    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your CAS card and the way you have situated your background papers, great card! Thanks for joining us this week @ CTO :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card, love the background in coloured embossed papers. Thanks for joining us at Amber's Crafts and Stuff's Red, White & Blue challenge, hope you see you back soon. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv the embossing but Oklahoma is OK - lol! Thanks for joining this week at My Sheri CRAFTS ;-)

    ReplyDelete