Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Celebrate the Occasion: Challenge #35 - Masculine Birthday with Metal

Happy Tuesday!  I'm excited to share with you the card I made for Celebrate the Occasion's Challenge #35.  This week's theme is all about celebrating a guy's birthday with metal!  I think my project is perfect for any guy -- big or little -- who's into science and space.

I've never used metal on a project, so I was a little concerned about what I'd do for this challenge.  I've been trying to not buy many new craft supplies, and I'd already blown my weekly "allowance" when it was time to work on this card.  That's when my mind wandered to the aluminum foil in the kitchen...


Card Details:
  • Card Base - DCWV Brights (A2)
  • Papers - patterned paper from DCWV - Nana's Kitchen; textured cardstock by Bazzil Bling; non-textured cardstock by Recollections; Reynolds aluminum foil
  • Cricut Cuts - rocket from Nifty Fifties, page 28
  • Embossing - rocket with Cuttlebug's Spots & Dots; aluminum foil background with The Paper Studio's Mesh Texture
  • Other - rocket on pop dots; inking with orange, green, and cyan Colorbox ink pads; sentiment stamp from Michaels $1 bin
Yes, there's an actual layer of the rocket cut from aluminum foil with my Cricut!  But I won't lie; it was hard!  I had the pressure and speed set as low as possible and my blade height was at 1 -- and I still had to cut that layer eight times to get a usable piece!  I think using a heavier-weight foil would help with those issues.  Or perhaps choosing a cut that doesn't have many intricate turns or narrow pieces.

My favorite thing about working with the foil was how great it looks when embossed.  I squealed with delight the first time I ran it through the Cuttlebug and saw the result!  Now I want to try foil in all my embossing folders!

I challenge you to head over to Celebrate the Occasion and participate in our male metal challenge.  And if you don't want to invest in specialty paper, consider giving aluminum foil a try -- I was very pleased with the result.

8 comments:

  1. Great card! Great idea using aluminum foil, never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Who would have thought kitchen supplies would emboss so well? :)I love the look of this card - so fun!
    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super card! I love the rocket and embossed metal! I agree, great minds do thinks alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this card! Very nice, and the colors are super!!
    Laurie - fellow DTM
    scrapsbysissy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW -- Awesome job with the foil!! :) How neat that you cut a layer of the rocket with foil too!! I don't think I would have been that patient!! :) I really LOVE the card!!

    Thanks so much for sharing your DT talent at Celebrate The Occasion!!

    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
    CTO DTM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this card-love the colors-Tfs Cathie
    www.creativecutter.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool thanks for the tip with aluminum foil and the cricut. Love your rocket card. I just had my own fun entering this challenge and popped over to say Thanks for the DT work, love the bright background against the foil. Looks awesome. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! What you did with aluminum foil is amazing!!!!
    Love the rocket ship!!!
    great Job!

    ReplyDelete